Monday 25 July 2016

Battleground 2016 Review

Battleground Review/Results



Kickoff Show


Breezango defeated The Usos

This match was added to the Kickoff Show a few days before Battleground and being honest I didn't have high hopes but in actuality it wasn't that bad. I'm starting to like Breezango and I hate The Usos more than ever so happy with the outcome and overall was a decent Kickoff Match.

Main Show


Sasha Banks and Bayley defeated Charlotte and Dana Brooke

As predicted Bayley was chosen as Sasha's mystery partner and also as predicted they won. This is especially good because they won by Sasha Banks making Charlotte tap out to the Bank Statement. This is awesome! Not only is Bayley on the main roster now, even if I'm not the hugest fan of her, but this victory gives Sasha waves of momentum that she can carry to Summerslam to go on and win the Women's Championship. 

The Wyatt Family defeated The New Day

The Wyatt Family is breaking up and what better way to go than off a win over the Tag Team Champions. Unfortunately they likely won't get a shot at the titles but that's okay because I have a feeling that at Summerslam we're going to see Enzo and Cass vs The New Day so I'm looking forward to that.

Rusev(c) defeated Zack Ryder to retain the United States Championship

Okay so what happened was Rusev made Zack Ryder tap out to the Accolade. It was kind of a boring match to be honest and as much as I like Zack Ryder I think it was a better decision for Rusev to win. After the match however Rusev applied The Accolade on to Zack again only to be interrupted by Zack's tag team partner from NXT, Mojo Rawley. Not a huge fan of Mojo but at least I don't have to worry abut him and Rusev in a feud since they're on different brands.

Sami Zayn defeated Kevin Owens

Sami Zayn defeated Kevin Owens in what I think was honestly the match of the night. The two work together so well and put on great matches every time. I hope this isn't the end of the Zayn vs Owens saga. A match at Summerslam between the two would be awesome, maybe add some sort of stipulation to make it more interesting but all in all this was amazing.

Natalya defeated Becky Lynch 

Not only is this the first prediction that I got wrong but I HATE Natalya. She really didn't need to win this as much as Becky and I don't want this match at Summerslam but at the same time I want to see Natalya lose so. Either way Natalya made Becky tap to the Sharpshooter clean which makes Becky Lynch look very weak and I think that was a bad decision. 

The Miz(c) vs Darren Young Ended In A No Contest

Since it was no contest The Miz retained the Intercontinental Championship. The match ended when The Miz tried to walk out but Bob Backlund blocked him from leaving. The Miz then knocked down Backlund but Darren Young didn't like that an locked The Miz in to the Cross Face Chicken Wing. The Miz tapped but it was outside the ring, I think the match ended in a count out but it was sort of confusing. This was a great booking decision though because not only does Darren Young look strong but The Miz holds on to the title so this was great in my opinion. The match itself however wasn't stand out.

John Cena, Enzo, and Big Cass defeated The Club

This match overall was decent, however it ended with Cena hitting AJ Styles with the Attitude Adjustment off the top rope to pin him and I'm kind of torn on whether that's good or bad. On one hand it gives Cena a more legitimate reason to have a rubber match at Summerslam with AJ. However it also makes AJ Styles look weak since he was the one pinned rather than Karl Anderson or Luke Gallows. I'm undecided and even though I wanted The Club to win it was a pretty good match.

The Highlight Reel with Randy Orton

There wasn't much building up for this segment but it was really funny. Chris Jericho was so sassy to Randy and Randy was throwing it right back at him it was hilarious. I also love Randy's new #outtanowhere shirt and the fact that Jericho acknowledged the RKO Outta Nowhere meme. I thought it was going to be boring but it turned out to be really entertaining. Especially when Randy Orton said he would take Brock Lesnar to Viperville, no enhancement needed. Damn that was actually a crazy comment. 

Dean Ambrose defeated Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns to retain the WWE Championship

So...needless to say I'm disappointed that Seth Rollins lost and to be honest I'm surprised he did. I thought for sure they'd want the WWE Championship on Raw like it always has been. However Dean Ambrose won meaning that for the time being it will stay on Smackdown. I presume this means that Raw will get the World Heavyweight Championship? Not sure, hopefully Raw gets some sort of major title though for the top stars to go far. This match though ended after Roman Reigns speared Rollins, but Dean slithered in and gave Dirty Deeds to Roman and pinned him for the victory. Shame.

Star Of The Night: Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens

This easily is one of the hottest rivalries in the WWE right now and I'm sure that no one wants to see it end. These two are both outstanding performers and steal the show every time they're together, just like they did tonight. Not only that but their rivalry feels really real and personal and that's what makes a good rivalry so great job to them, here's hoping they fight again at Summerslam and Kevin Owens winning next time.

For the most part Battleground was a good, but predictable pay per view. Seth Rollins didn't win so that's kind of a bummer but I like Dean Ambrose and like that he still is the champion and not Roman Reigns so I have no complaints.
Until next time,
Devon Wizard

No comments:

Post a Comment