Monday 22 August 2016

Summerslam 2016 Review

Summerslam Review

This was a very confusing pay per view, it was good but odd for some reason. The crowd really didn't seem too in to it and I think that kind of lowered the excitement in general. Let's break it down match by match. 



Kickoff Show

American Alpha, The Hype Bros, and The Usos defeated Breezango, The Ascension, and The Vaudevillains

So as expected the faces won again, but this time some ripples were made. After American Alpha hit Red Amplitude on Simon Gotch, one of the Usos hit a top rope splash and pinned Simon to win, causing a bit of a stir. I didn't really care much about this match to be honest but I thought it was cool that Breezango actually got a pretty good pop. 

Neville and Sami Zayn defeated The Dudley Boyz

Another expected outcome with Neville pinning Bubba I think after hitting the Red Arrow. It's a shame they couldn't have had a better match for Neville or Sami Zayn considering how talented they are in the ring. 

Sheamus defeated Cesaro

My first wrong prediction came in this match, but it wouldn't be my last. I understand why they let Sheamus win, I just think it would've been better to have Cesaro win. Doesn't matter what I think though because Sheamus went over clean after hitting the Brogue Kick on Cesaro. It was an okay match...can't wait for them to finish this best of 7 series. If you couldn't tell that was sarcasm. 

Main Show

Jeri-KO defeated Enzo and Big Cass

I'm pretty excited that Jeri-KO won because they're now established as a dominant threat, defeating a top tag team and I'd be very happy to see them square off for the tag team titles if they get a chance. Also really liked their tag finisher, even if they botched it in their match. It was like a pop up Code Breaker. It was really cool and I'm happy with Jericho and Owens winning. 

Charlotte defeated Sasha Banks(c) to become the new Womens Champion

Well...that was really unexpected, and to be honest bullshit. What the hell was that finish? Sasha had Charlotte in the Bank Statement and Charlotte just pinned her while in he submission for the win. It wasn't even a proper roll up. I was very disappointed with how this ended, I really don't think Sasha should have lost it. 

The Miz(c) defeated Apollo Crews to retain the Intercontinental Championship

Yeah this one was just meh I must say.I'm not surprised though, I didn't expect this to be a great match. The build up was poor and in my opinion the contender had next to zero personality. Miz ended up retaining with a Skull Crushing Finale but this match wasn't great. 

AJ Styles defeated John Cena

Holy...did that just happen? Did AJ Styles seriously just beat the face that runs the place, John Cena...clean? That's right boys and girls Christmas has come early because AJ Styles is a legend. No shame to Cena either, these two put on what was easily the match of the night, and the best part was that AJ Styles won clean!!! He first kicked out of an Attitude Adjustment from the top rope and then hit John with a Styles Clash and a Phenomenal Forearm. This really solidifies AJ a top Smackdown star and I couldn't be more excited for his future. 

Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson defeated The New Day(c) by Disqualification 

So Jon Stewart was out to help The New Day who consisted of just Xavier and Kofi, and I was kind of rattled when Jon Stewart interfered. So were Gallows and Anderson as they tried to give him Ringpostitis, but Big E returned to save Jon, disqualifying The New Day. I hope Gallows and Anderson get their rematch without Jon Stewart there, like seriously he's so cringy did you see him dancing after the match?! Oh my god. 

Dean Ambrose(c) defeated Dolph Ziggler to retain the WWE World Championship

Dolph had a good build, he really did, he cut some awesome promos and he did look like a threat but in the end everyone knew he wasn't going to pick up the title. One Dirty Deeds later and Ziggler is down for the count. It's too bad because I really do like Ziggler, but I think he needs to turn heel if he wants to stay in the main event picture. Apart from that critique the match was okay, it kind of makes it mean less when the crowd doesn't do anything. 

Nikki Bella, Natalya, and Alexa Bliss defeated Naomi, Becky Lynch, and Carmella

So as I said in my prediction post, Eva Marie was suspended. So the returning from injury Nikki Bella replaced her and got a good pop. I knew that when Nikki returned their team would win, and they did after Nikki Bella hit the Rack Attack on Carmella. It's awesome that Nikki Bella is back because she's a main event superstar and definitely will be a top contender for Smackdown's Womens Title when they debut it. 

Finn Balor defeated Seth Rollins to become the first ever WWE Universal Champion

This match was pretty good, but I don't know I just feel like it could've been so much better if the crowd was actually in to it. It really didn't feel like the crowd cared all that much and I'm sorry but the crowd really sucked the whole night. They especially disappointed in this one which ended when Finn hit the Coup De Grace on Seth. Honestly it felt too short and left me with wondering thoughts. 

Rusev(c) vs Roman Reigns for the United States Championship...never actually happened 

So before the match even started Rusev attacked Roman Reigns and see, Roman didn't like that too much so he attacked back and actually beat Rusev so bad he was "unable" to compete. What the fuck is that? I thought this kind of shit only happened on Raw. This made me angry because I was actually looking forward to this match and they threw it out the window for whatever dumbass reason. Jeez I'm getting worked up. 

Brock Lesnar defeated Randy Orton by TKO

This was bad. Not bad as in like bad wrestling no, this was bad like someone getting sick. After Randy Orton kicked out of an F-5 from the Beast Incarnate, Lesnar seemed a bit upset. So as a normal human being would do once he or she is upset is he took off his padded gloves and literally just started hitting Randy in the head as hard as he could, so hard in fact that he busted Orton open...like really bad. They had to stop the match due to this but Lesnar kept on going. Shane came out to make sure Orton was okay but took an F-5 from Lesnar, but this whole situation was just unlucky. This could've been good but it's just too bad it had to end this way. Hopefully Orton gets well soon.

Star Of The Night: AJ Styles

This win is amazing for AJ Styles, it puts him in a great spot and this one win will elevate his career so much. I'm extremely happy AJ got the clean win over Cena that he deserved and I can't wait for Smackdown to see what's next fro the Phenomenal One.

Overall I thought this pay per view was kind of a bust, from the under hype crowd, to the weird finishes in the last couple matches, it just all felt weird and I wasn't a fan. 
Until next time,
Devon Wizard

No comments:

Post a Comment